Friday 11 October 2013

Colour in general and reds in particular. Red painting, Oct 11, 2013. Acrylics on canvas, 35.3 cm x 45.3 cm

Even abstraction comes with many choices, particularly between colour and shape. Composition hovers overhead these two aspects at all times. Which of the two to concern oneself with today? Shall one take a dominating role or shall they both be neatly balanced? Who shall be the Main Character of today's canvas-bound stage play? What's the importance of colour, or the chosen colours on the day for the person in front of the canvas? Shape chimes in with the active choices I make when I draw. Colour was for a long time the follow-up. Proposals when Colour understands itself to be the leading character often follows a different path to that of when Shape is at the helm, and here I negotiated with reds. Red lead the way on the canvas and after painting I felt I viewed red in a different light all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment