Sunday 11 May 2014

Magma One. Mixed Media on Canvas, April 2014 90cm x 60cm

The power inherent in colour alone is a marvellous thing. The possibilities of the different combinations available and the effects judicious placement can achieve can both please, delight and confuse the creator of any artwork. Mixing colours and dynamic shapes is both stimulating and educational. Unmixed colours and the absence of expressive shapes can have no less of a stimulating effect on the eye. The less I manipulate the colour on the canvas, the more I feel I get to "know" the colour itself. In this work I wanted the surface to host a plain, straightforward display of a balanced yet pulsating group of colours. Despite its formal rigidity I wanted the combination to allude to natural hidden strength.  

No comments:

Post a Comment